Woodbridge Corps was opened on 26 July 1883 in a building in Brook Street which still stands.
(The hall has now been converted into a house)
The Corps was formed in the town largly at the instignation of Mary Munnings.
Other founder members included:
Treasurer Joseph Crane (on the right)
The opening Sunday’s meetings closed with 6 souls “at the feet of Jesus”, as was reported in “The War Cry” 11 August 1883. A reproduction of the original article can be seen here:
The Corps then moved to it’s present location at ther bottom of New Street in March 1885, thanks to the efforts of a local Banker, Mr Alexander who purchased the premises, which was formally a Bonded store having been built in 1847 & was called ‘Duke’s Palace’.
The opening of this building, according to the local newspaper had 630 present!. The band was augmented on this occassion with bandsman from Ipswich.(a photo of the present hall can be found on our main site
This building was later purchased by Treasurer Crane, who left the building to the Corps. in his Will.
At around this time, the Corps also run a outpost in the village of Debech